Request email notification when page changes E-Notify

Identification Requirements

Beginning June 1, 2006 Secure and Verifiable Identification is REQUIRED to obtain a new Colorado title, transfer of a title, a new handicap placard, a new registration and a temporary permit.  A secure and verifiable identification consists of one of the following identifications:

  • Any Colorado Driver License or Colorado Identification Card expired less than 1 year.
  • Out of state issued photo driver license or photo identification card expired less than 1 year.
  • US passport expired less than 10 years.
  • Valid foreign passport with I-94 or valid Processed for I551 stamps; No: B1, B2, WT, WB, CP or NC status.  H1, H2, J1, J2, F1, F2 etc., requires verification of Colorado employment or education.
  • Valid I551 Resident Alien/Permanent Resident card.  NO border crosser or USA B1/B2 Visa/BCC cards.
  • Valid I688 Temporary Resident Card, I688B and I766 Employment Authorization Card.
  • Valid US Military ID (active duty, dependent, retired, reserve and National Guard).
  • Tribal Identification Card.
  • Certificate of Naturalization with intact photo.
  • Certificate of (US) Citizenship with intact photo.

The person coming into the office to complete the title work must be named on the paperwork.  If the named person or persons is unable to come into the office a Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney is required for the person coming into the office to be able to complete the transaction.

The Power of Attorney form may be located on the Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle web site, or you may come into the office to acquire one.